There are different kinds of woods for different woodworking activities. Wood comes in different sizes and shapes, and they also have different functions. The large variety of wood used for different kinds of woodworks can be seen on Suomiarvostelut. There are different species of wood as well. However, wood is classified into three major types.
These classification, as must-read opinions on Staypro show, are to group the many types of wood available. The classifications are: softwoods, hardwoods, and manufactured or engineered woods.
- Softwoods are lumber and woods from conifer trees. Some of such wood are redwood, spruce, cedar, pine, Fir, etc.
- Hardwoods are from trees like deciduous trees. Unlike trees in which softwoods are got, they do not produce cones or needles. Examples of hardwoods are maple, mahogany, cherry, oak, and walnut.
- Engineered Wood is wood that is manufactured. They have manipulated wood features. Some of this category of wood is plywood, Medium Density Fiberboard, Oriented Strand Board, Composite Board, and a few others.
Woods Used for Woodworking
There are countless woods used for Woodworking. However, some of them are:
- Alder Wood: This wood has a natural beauty that scales its popularity. It is used to craft wood for machining, turning, and carving. It has a honey color, a transition from white when freshly cut. It is used for furniture purposes and it is as exotics as mahogany.
- Bamboo: This comes from tall plants. It is used to build many things because of the density of its stems and hardness. The bamboo has also been made into engineered wood like plywood. Bamboo is used for garden decoration, fences garden furniture, cabinets, flooring, etc. as hardwood.
- Cedar Wood: This wood has an automatic smell which is said to repel moths and pests. This makes it valuable in many outdoor building projects. It is used to build storage chests and closets. The varieties of cedar include Spanish Cedar, Yellow Cedar, Eastern White Cedar, Western Red Cedar, and Northern White Cedar.
- Mahogany: As an exotic wood with a pinkish tone, it is softened with simple oil which makes it beautiful. Mahogany has been used to construct pianos and guitars and they are the softest amongst the hardwood category.
- Maple: As a hardwood, it is made from Sugar Maple tree and used in different woodwork projects. It is primarily grown and sustainable in North American forests and this has led to its spread in many parts of America.
- Oak Wood: With its beautiful grain pattern, it is used to construct furniture that can last a generation. It doesn’t rot or decays easily, and it is often an excellent choice when it comes to wood flooring.
- Pine: This is a very common wood with different practical uses. It is most often used indoors with its rich variety of colors. It is also sustainable and economical, which is why many people use it for their woodwork projects.
Other kinds of woods are balsa wood, basswood, plywood, poplar, rosewood, spruce, teak, whitewood, walnut wood, and many others.